top of page

Honeymoon Passport Information Every Couple Should Know

by Kimberly Jacoby

honeymoon passports

Honeymoon passport information can be a little confusing for busy couples. One of the biggest questions asked by our honeymooners is, " Do I need a passport?" or "Should I get a passport in my married name or maiden name?" I answer those questions below, as well as give you tips on obtaining your passports with ease.


Many couples put off obtaining their passport till the last minute, which could have some pricey consequences. A little early planning will prevent you from paying expedited fees, overnight postage, or even paying a courier to hand deliver your documents. Below is some information you'll need to start the process without worry.


When will I need a passport? Anytime you travel out of the country, you should have a passport, as it is required for air travel. For cruises, it is not always required in some cases, but it is always recommended.


How do you get a passport? You must fill out an application. You can download it online and get all of the proof of identification requirements at


How much does a passport cost? Currently, with processing fees you are looking at: $135.00, plus processing fees, which is a huge bargain considering it is good for 10 years.


How long will it take to get a passport? Average time is between 4 and 6 weeks. Sometimes even longer for first timers. Be careful not to wait too long. It is recommended that you already have your passport in hand prior to booking your honeymoon.


What type of passport do I get? Always get the passport book. The passport card is not valid when it comes to air travel.


How long is a passport good for? 10 years


Should I get the passport in my married name? No. Here's why: You'll need a copy of your marriage license as proof for a legal name change, and most couples don't obtain this document until shortly before the wedding.


In many cases, this will simply not allow enough time to change your name on a passport and other essential travel identification. Plus, a name change on a plane ticket can incur some hefty charges. Without a consistent name on all of your documents, you could be inconveniently detained, which is no way to start your honeymoon!


When you've returned from your honeymoon and received your marriage certificate, make a certified copy and send it along with a Passport Amendment/Validation Application and your new passport to the nearest passport agency. You should receive your "married" passport back in about three weeks at no charge. You have up to one year to do this, so rest easy.


Important to Note:

  • If you already have a passport, note that many countries require that your passport be valid for at least six months or longer beyond the dates of your trip.

  • Some Middle Eastern and African countries will not issue visas or allow entry if your passport indicates travel to Israel.

  • Passport forms can be downloaded from your computer or picked up at major post offices, county clerk offices, or passport agencies.

  • You should be able to get the required 2 x 2" passport photo shot at a one-hour photo shop, Mail Boxes Etc., Kinko's, or your local drugstore.


Places to turn in your Passport Application:

  • Downtown Post Office or other post offices by appointment only

  • County Clerk’s Office or

  • Check the website for locations nearest you.



Ready to book an amazing honeymoon or destination wedding?

Call us at 817-386-0701 or use the form below.





bottom of page